Trends and Challenges in Agro-Food Value Chain
We have to keep in mind that effective agro-food value chain analysis, development and creating competitiveness is an essential factor to ensure food security, growth, and welfare. It requires an intensive practical and educational experience in agro-food sector value chain development.
There are significant changes in the agro-food sector over the last few decades. Let’s look at these:
1. Globalization: Decreasing transportation and transaction costs and gains in trade liberalization;
2. Structural changes in farms and retails: Decreasing in numbers and growing as large firms;
3. Changes in consumer preferences: The consumers are the main drivers of the development of the agro-food value chain. They are interested in price, high quality, diversified and healthy food;
4. Environmental awareness: Consumer awareness is increasing on the environmental effect of agro-food value chain due to the green-house emission and resource and biodiversity conservation;
5. New biotechnologies;
6. Advances in information and communication technologies (ICT);
7. Demographic and labor supply changes;
8. New regulations.